Omega-3 Fish Oils
Choosing the appropriate Omega-3 is crucial to maximising the full potential of these essential fatty acids. Below is a list of some of the highest quality fish oils available on today's market, each one specifically designed to meet your dietary needs. Additional MorEPA information is below this list. Click on any of the products for more information on that product.
What makes the MorEPA and MorDHA range of Omega-3's from Shield Health so different from other brands?
By now you are no doubt well aware of the importance of Omega-3 fatty acids for your general health. Omega-3 and 6 are called essential fats because the body cannot make them from other foods or fats.
Omega-3 principally acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body, while on the other hand Omega-6 tends to drive inflammatory processes
The Omega Imbalance
The typical Irish Diet tends to have an excess of Omega-6 from food sources but insufficient Omega -3. The health food market has been swamped in recent years by an enormous choice of Omega-3 supplements. Numerous manufacturers have entered the market in the hope of getting a share of the hype surrounding Omega-3. However, it is important to separate the quality from the norm as some of the supplements sold under the ‘umbrella’ of Omega-3 are better left alone.
Research has demonstrated that the majority of the population is well aware that Omega-3 is vital to maintain good health, but few people know how little Omega-3 they consume via their diet, how to differentiate between the various products and what to look for when buying an Omega-3 supplement.
Check and compare
Essential information about a product can be found on the packaging. Always check the data on the packaging, which often states ‘1000 mg fish oil’, but that is meaningless. Usually the text on the packaging doesn’t show the origin and purity of the fish oil either.
What should you look out for?
This refers to the exact quantity of the most important Omega-3 fatty acids in a capsule, i.e. the DHA and EPA concentration. A 1000 mg fish oil capsule may only contain half that amount, or even less, in DHA and EPA, the rest consisting of, for example, vegetable oil or Omega-6. It is not because a capsule weighs 1000 mg that it actually contains 1000 mg of pure Omega-3 fatty acids. Always check the amount of DHA and EPA per capsule.
Depends on the EPA and DHA concentration. Higher concentrations of EPA or DHA require fewer capsules per day to meet your daily requirement. With some brands you require four, six, even up to ten capsules per day in order to reach the necessary daily dose of EPA or DHA.
Don’t be fooled by the cost of a pack of 30, 60 or 90 capsules. Calculate how many capsules you need to take each day and how long a package will last. Cheaper products soon become expensive if you require four or more capsules per day.
Check the ingredients in each capsule. Many manufacturers use sunflower or groundnut oil, or even saturated fats or other fillers that might well be unhealthy, in addition to (small) amounts of EPA and DHA.
Impact on the environment
Choose fish or algae oil derived from non-endangered species and a product that has been purified in an environmentally friendly way. It is advisable to opt for smaller fish species (mackerel, anchovies). Tuna is an endangered species, which also contains considerable amounts of mercury and PCBs. The optimum guarantee is an EMAS certificate (Eco-Management and Audit Scheme, approved by the European Parliament).
5 Reasons Why You Should Choose MorEPA
- Supercritical Difference: MorEPA Oils undergo liquid CO 2 extraction and are exposed to less heat than other leading brands with no saturated fat as filler.
- Super Concentration: MorEPA is one of the highest concentrated Omega-3s available, which is “super convenient” because you get more Omega-3 nutrition per softgel which means fewer pills and tablespoons of oil to swallow.
- Unsurpassed Purity: MorEPA oils go through rigorous in house and third party testing and have remarkably low levels of oxidation as well as undetectable levels of dioxins, pesticides and heavy metals like mercury.
- Science-Based Unique Formulations: MorEPA uses the latest Omega-3 research to formulate specific ratios of EPA and DHA to support the body and its systems.
- Small Environmental Footprint: Minami obtains fish from sustainable managed waters and is the only fish oil in the world to receive EMAS (Eco-Management and Audit Scheme) status—a very stringent European standard
The Omega 3 Educational Series
Call us today on (01) 405 1500 for more information